Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Global Warming Isn't Real

I've deer hunted in a mid-Missouri location nearly every year since 1980 - almost thirty years. The season always falls within the second and third week of November. My hunting stand is on the same plot of land year after year. So I've built up a lot of climate observation at a specific locale and time of year. Here's what I've seen on opening day of the season over the years:

-from 1980 thru 1986, mornings were cold. There was always hard frost on the winter wheat and on the treebark. Precipitation was rare. I had to dress in thermals, sweats, and an insulated hunting suit. My feet froze even with large boots in an insulated bag. I wore two stocking caps and a hood.

-from the mid 80's thru 1991 it was almost as cold, but occasionally rainy.

-in 1991 the weather moderated. That year I swapped the hunting suit for fatigues and thermals, and laid in the warm 65f sun one day.

-throughout the 90's the mornings were consistently above 30f with a moderate frost on the winter wheat, and none on treebark.

-from 2000 or so to the present, mornings have been consistently above 45f with little to no frost, lots of erratic rainstorms and sunny days in the 70f-80f range. So far this year, opening morning at 6AM was 56f and clear, with a major thunderstorm front following the next day for four days.

I'll be talking with my relatives to get anecdotes from the 30's thru the 70's in that region. But from what I've heard from my departed grandparents, 20" snowfalls late in the fall were not unheard of.

...it's definitely getting warmer around here.

No comments: